Performed one surgery wisdom tooth can be scary and painful. It is important to be well prepared before entering the hospital or clinic for treatment. If only a wisdom tooth has to be removed and is already above the skin, you will probably be given a local anesthetic and will keep you aware. If your wisdom teeth are impacted or below the gum line, probably you have to submit to general anesthesia.
Prepare for surgery wisdom tooth, anesthesia is used or not, it is a complicated process. Follow the steps below, in addition to the instructions of your doctor, a procedure to ensure safe and fast.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery. This rule remains the same if it gives you a local or general anesthetic. If you had surgery before, your doctor has told you probably similar to that rule. Try to eat a healthy and nutritious diet the week before surgery to help maintain the natural defenses of your body up. Be sure to take vitamins week before surgery, including vitamin C and calcium supplements.
- Brush your teeth very well the night before surgery and make sure you floss, especially during the week before surgery. Because surgery, probably you will not be able to brush your teeth normally for several days or weeks, so make sure you get completely clean now. If possible, do yourself a dental cleaning before surgery.
- Rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide, the night before surgery. Combine 1 part water and 1 part hydrogen peroxide and swish beam for one minute before spitting. Rinse thoroughly with water afterwards. Hydrogen peroxide gets rid of harmful bacteria and prevents infection.
- Vaseline head over above the mouth area the night before surgery. Apply inside the lips and around them. During surgery wisdom teeth, your mouth is held open for an extended period of time which will make the cut and chapped lips.
- Wear comfortable, loose clothing, such as pants or pajamas in surgery. You will not be allowed to wear slippers or shoes, so make sure you bring slippers. You might ask you to wear a hospital gown, but because the surgery will be in your mouth, you may be able to wear loose clothing like a T-shirt and sweatpants instead.
- If you have long hair, be sure to wear a headband or ribbon to tie the hair before surgery. You’ll have to tie your hair in a comfortable position depending on the surface on which you lie during surgery, so be prepared to adjust the headband or headband accordingly.
Tips & Warnings
- Follow your doctor’s instructions about what to do before surgery.